Marie Carrick, Haberdashers’ Boys’ School, UK Megan Hall, Haberdashers’ Girls’ School, UK Introduction The introduction of the Early Career Framework (ECF; DfE, 2019a) in September 2021 provided the opportunity to deliver a joint training programme to nine beginning teachers (ITT, ECT and unqualified) from the school-centred initial teacher training (SCITT) programme at Haberdashers’ Boys and Girls Schools. The programme, built upon the principles outlined in the ITT Core Content Framework (CCF; DfE, 2019b) and the ECF, provided an opportunity for our trainees to collaborate and learn new knowledge and skills to set them up for teaching. As the year progressed, we noticed the wider impacts of the programme, which are outlined below. The trainee teacher programme Starting our trainees off on their professional journey and supporting and developing them along the way was a key aim. Kraft and Papay (2014) highlight how having a supportive environment is crucial in improvi
Collaboration at the heart of developing and supporting early career teachers
Written by: Marie Carrick and Megan Hall
7 min read
- Bennett T (2020) Running the Room: The Teacher’s Guide to Behaviour. Woodbridge: John Catt.
- Chandler P and Sweller J (1991) Cognitive load theory and the format of instruction. Cognition and Instruction 8(4): 293–332.
- Coe R, Cordingley P, Higgins S et al. (2015) Developing great teaching. Teacher Development Trust. Available at: https://tdtrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/DGT-Full-report.pdf (accessed 10 November 2022).
- Coe R, Rauch CJ, Kime S et al. (2021) Great Teaching Toolkit: Evidence review. Evidence Based Education. Available at: www.cambridgeinternational.org/Images/584543-great-teaching-toolkit-evidence-review.pdf (accessed 10 November 2022).
- Department for Education (DfE) (2019a) Early career framework. Available at: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/978358/Early-Career_Framework_April_2021.pdf (accessed 10 November 2022).
- Department for Education (DfE) (2019b) ITT core content framework. Available at: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/974307/ITT_core_content_framework_.pdf (accessed 10 November 2022).
- Education Endowment Foundation (EEF) (2021) Effective professional development: Guidance report. Available at https://d2tic4wvo1iusb.cloudfront.net/eef-guidance-reports/effective-professional-development/EEF-Effective-Professional-Development-Guidance-Report.pdf (accessed 10 November 2022).
- Kraft M and Papay J (2014) Can professional environments in schools promote teacher development? Explaining heterogeneity in returns to teaching experience. Educational Effectiveness and Policy Analysis 36(4): 476–500.
- Kraft M and Papay J (2016) The myth of the teacher performance plateau. Educational Leadership 73: 36–42.
- Sherrington T (2019) Rosenshine’s Principles in Action. Woodbridge: John Catt Education.
- Sherrington T and Caviglioli O (2020) Teaching Walkthrus: Five-Step Guides to Instructional Coaching: Visual Step-By-Step Guides to Essential Teaching Techniques. Woodbridge: John Catt Education.
- Teach Like a Champion (nd) Homepage. Available at: https://teachlikeachampion.org (accessed 10 November 2022).
- Weston D and Clay B (2018) Unleashing Great Teaching: The Secrets to the Most Effective Teacher Development. Abingdon: Routledge.
Please login to comment
View all comments