Sarah Horrocks, Director, Connected Learning Centre, UK Peter Lillington, Teaching and learning consultant, Connected Learning Centre, UK The home learning period during the partial school closures of the past 18 months saw teachers using and creating digital resources within teaching and learning to an unprecedented extent. At the Connected Learning Centre, where we support schools and other settings in using digital technologies creatively and critically, we know from working with teachers in subject-specific CPD sessions focused on the use of digital resources in the humanities, the arts, maths and science at EYFS, Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 levels that it was an aspect of learning that many children and teachers enjoyed immensely. Teaching humanities digitally – from Rio de Janeiro to Westminster Abbey Take Anna’s Reception class at Hitherfield Primary School in Streatham, which took a virtual trip to Japan to learn more about the country, its food and its customs. She int
Exploring the world virtually: The role of digital technology and resources in subject-specific teacher CPD
9 min read
- Anderson T, Rourke L Garrison DR et al. (2001) Assessing teaching presence in a computer conferencing context. Online Learning 5(2). DOI: 10.24059/olj.v5i2.1875.
- Bates T (2021) Online learning and distance education, with Dr Tony Bates. BlendEd. Available at: https://blendedlearning.org.uk/online-learning/distance-learning-in-conversation-with-dr-tony-bates (accessed 19 November 2021).
- Connected Learning Centre (CLC) (2020) Switching to remote learning: Examples of core principles in action. Available at: https://londonclc.org.uk/2020/05/15/switching-to-remote-learning-examples-of-core-principles-in-action (accessed 19 November 2021).
- Connected Learning Centre (CLC) (2021a) Humanities in blended teaching. BlenEd. Available at: https://blendedlearning.org.uk/online-learning/humanities-in-blended-teaching (accessed 19 November 2021).
- Connected Learning Centre (CLC) (2021b) Maths in blended teaching. BlendEd. Available at: https://blendedlearning.org.uk/online-learning/webinar-maths-in-blended-teaching (accessed 19 November 2021).
- Connected Learning Centre (CLC) (2021c) Science in blended teaching. BlendEd. Available at: https://blendedlearning.org.uk/online-learning/webinar-science-in-blended-teaching (accessed 19 November 2021).
- McAleavy T and Gorgen K (2020) Overview of Emerging Country Level Response to Providing Educational Continuity Under COVID-19: Best Practice in Pedagogy for Remote Teaching. Reading: Education Development Trust.
- Office for National Statistics (ONS) (2021) Remote schooling through the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, England: April 2020 to June 2021. Available at: www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/educationandchildcare/articles/remoteschoolingthroughthecoronaviruscovid19pandemicengland/april2020tojune2021 (accessed 19 November 2021).