Stephen Lee and Paul Chillingworth, Mathematics in Education and Industry, UK This case study gives an insight into an online learning environment created to enable post-16 students to study AS/A-level further mathematics through external tuition provided by an education charity. A ‘student experience of tuition’ baseline survey and comparable ‘end of course’ survey were considered to determine the effectiveness of the online learning environment, following curriculum changes for AS/A-level mathematics/further mathematics in 2018. Case study of external tuition support through an online learning environment AS and A-level further mathematics qualifications broaden and deepen the maths covered in A-level mathematics, and they can be taken alongside or following on from AS/A-level mathematics. Although there has been a marked increase in the number of schools/colleges offering – and students studying – further mathematics over the past 15 years, the subject still isn’t a
Flipped learning: Insight into a high-quality online learning environment created to enable study of AS/A-level further mathematics
Written by: Stephen Lee and Paul Chillingworth
6 min read
- Birgili B, Seggie FN and Oğuz E (2021) The trends and outcomes of flipped learning research between 2012 and 2018: A descriptive content analysis. Journal of Computer Education 8: 365–394.
- Department for Education (DfE) (2016a) Further mathematics: AS and A level content. Available at: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/516950/GCE_AS_and_A_level_subject_content_for_further_mathematics_with_appendices.pdf (accessed 22 March 2022).
- Department for Education (DfE) (2016b) Mathematics: AS and A level content. Available at: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/516949/GCE_AS_and_A_level_subject_content_for_mathematics_with_appendices.pdf (accessed 22 March 2022).
- Glaister P (2017) AS and A levels in mathematics and further mathematics are changing –are you ready? MSOR Connections 15(3): 14–27.
- Lee S, Lord K, Dudzic S et al. (2018) Investigating the impact of curriculum and funding changes on Level 3 mathematics uptake: Comparison of A level mathematics, further mathematics and core maths uptake in 2016–17 and 2017–18. MEI. Available at: https://mei.org.uk/reports/investigating-the-impact-of-curriculum-and-funding-changes-on-level-3-mathematics-uptake-2 (accessed 22 March 2022).
- Lee S, Stevens A, Boylan M et al. (2016) The fragility of A level further mathematics in schools/colleges in England. Proceedings of the British Society for Research into Learning Mathematics 36(2): 43–48.
- Lissaman R and Lee S (2016) MEI Insights VIII: Developing online AS/A level teaching and learning resources. Mathematics in School, Mathematical Association 45(5) 28–31.
Please login to comment
View all comments