Amy Lloyd, Assistant Headteacher, Haybridge High School, part of the Four Stones Multi Academy Trust, UK Haybridge High School and Sixth Form is an 11–18 academy located in Worcestershire. This academic year we have focused on improving our continuous professional learning (CPL) offer for staff. We have been – and continue to be – on a journey towards a culture of meaningful professional learning, where teachers engage with research and evidence into effective teaching based on sound cognitive science, implement this in their classrooms, analyse impact and then share their learning with their colleagues and teaching community, fulfilling a cycle of learning. This case study offers an overview of our journey to date and would be useful for anyone seeking to evaluate or adapt their current CPL practices. Haybridge became part of the Four Stones Multi Academy Trust (MAT) in the autumn of 2019. Under normal circumstances, the school would then have entered into a period of
From forum to practice (and back again!): Our professional learning journey
Written by: Amy Lloyd
7 min read
- Baddeley AD and Hitch G (1974) Working Memory: The Psychology of Learning and Motivation. New York: Academic.
- CUREE (2011) Evaluation of CPD providers in England 2010–2011: Report for school leaders. Teachers Development Agency. Available at: www.curee.co.uk/files/publication/%5Bsite-timestamp%5D/CPD%20providers%20report%20-school%20leaders%20final.pdf (accessed 26 July 2022).
- Education Endowment Foundation (EEF) (2021) Effective professional development: Guidance report. Available at: https://d2tic4wvo1iusb.cloudfront.net/eef-guidance-reports/effective-professional-development/EEF-Effective-Professional-Development-Guidance-Report.pdf?v=1648715505 (accessed 26 July 2022).
- Enser M and Enser Z (2021) The CPD Curriculum. Williston: Crown House Publishing.
- Hobbiss M, Sims S and Allen B (2020) Habit formation limits growth in teacher effectiveness: A review of converging evidence from neuroscience and social science. Review of Education 9(1): 3–23.
- Kraft MA and Papay JP (2014) Do supportive professional environments promote teacher development? Explaining heterogeneity in returns to teacher experience. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis 36(4): 476–500.
- Rosenshine B (2012) Principles of instruction: Research-based strategies that all teachers should know. American Educator 36(1): 12–19, 39.
- Sherrington T and Caviglioli O (2020) Teaching WalkThrus: Five-Step Guide to Instructional Coaching. Melton: John Catt Educational.
- Willingham D (2009) Why don’t students like school? Because the mind is not designed for thinking. American Educator 33(1): 4–13.