Vanessa Goucher, School Improvement Professional, School Development Service, Northern Ireland Education Authority, UK SITUATION (S in the STAIR model) Senior and middle leaders in schools in Northern Ireland have the opportunity to register for a professional learning course to develop their leadership skills. ‘Steps into Leadership’ for middle leaders and ‘Senior Leadership Pathways’ for senior leaders have been devised and delivered by the Leadership Management and Governance (LMG) team from the Education Authority’s (EA’s) School Development Service (SDS) and offered in various models of delivery since 2010. The LMG team, working under priorities established by the Department for Education, are committed to ‘build leadership capacity at all levels’ (Department for Education for Northern Ireland, 2016, policy commitment 10), along with other leadership opportunities provided by the EA. ‘Pathways’ and ‘Steps’ are very popular courses, with 350 teac
Pathways, steps and STAIRS: A study of the impact of developing teacher professional learning for senior and middle school leaders in the digital environment
Written by: Vanessa Goucher
8 min read
- Department of Education for Northern Ireland (2016) Learning leaders: A strategy for teacher professional learning. Available at: www.education-ni.gov.uk/publications/teaching-professional-learning-strategy (accessed September 2022).
- Education Endowment Foundation (EEF) (2020) Remote learning: Rapid evidence assessment. Available at: https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/public/files/Remote_Learning_Rapid_Evidence_Assessment.pdf (accessed September 2022).
- Fullan M and Quinn J (2020) Education reimagined: The future of learning. Microsoft. Available at: https://edudownloads.azureedge.net/msdownloads/Microsoft-EducationReimagined-Paper.pdf (accessed September 2022).
- Hattie J (2020) John Hattie interview by Stephen Cox – Build Back Better. Available at: https://schoolsonline.education.ed.ac.uk/2020/06/17/john-hattie-interview-by-chris-cox-build-back-better (accessed September 2022).
- Lockley L (2021) Why the Netflix approach to CPD is trending. TES, 14 June, 21.Available at: www.tes.com/magazine/news/general/why-netflix-approach-cpd-trending (accessed September 2022).
- Sims S, Fletcher-Wood H, O’Mara-Eves A et al. (2021) What are the characteristics of effective teacher professional development? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Education Endowment Foundation. Available at: https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED615914.pdf (accessed 21 November 2022).
Please login to comment
View all comments