In the early stages of your teaching career, it’s not uncommon to feel overwhelmed by the many demands of day to day classroom teaching. Teaching is a challenging but highly rewarding profession and with the added pressures of remote/blended teaching and learning, effectively managing your time and workload is more important now than ever. Additionally, when faced with a multitude of teaching tasks, one of the areas all teachers can miss, is taking care of themselves (Turner and Braine 2016).
In this online session, Yamina Bibi (Assistant Headteacher, Forest Gate Community School) provided practical strategies for managing your time and workload, and guidance on how you can maintain your wellbeing and effectiveness, avoiding the dreaded teacher burnout.
Attendees also have the opportunity to ask our speakers questions during a Q&A session towards the end of the webinar.
Assistant Headteacher, Forest Gate Community School
Yamina is an Assistant Headteacher in charge of English and T & L. She is an accredited SSAT Lead Practitioner, a Network Leader for WomenEd London and an experienced coach. Throughout her decade or so in teaching, Yamina mentored and led Early Careers Teachers as a Professional Coordinator Mentor for NQTs, TeachFirst and Initial teacher training - the period of academic study and ... trainees. Yamina is passionate about supporting Early Careers Teachers to thrive and has embedded a whole school coaching in order to ensure all staff have access to personalised professional development.
Shared materials and resources:
- Download Yamina’s presentation
- Download the audio transcript
- Chartered College of Teaching members’ discounts on certain publishers
- Essential Guides for Early Career Teachers: Mental Well-being and Self-care
- ‘What They Didn’t Teach Me About Self-Care’ in Sarah Mullin (2020) What They Didn’t Teach Me on my PGCE
- Eat That Frog
- Francesco Cirillo – Productivity training
- A time management matrix that helps you prioritise your long-term goals
- Stop Talking About Wellbeing
- Jaz Ampaw Farr Humans First Leadership Course
- Managing means of participation
- Thahmina Begum- The Golden Ratio for getting your students cognitively active
- Adrian Bethune and Emma Kell (2021) A Little Guide for Teachers: Teacher wellbeing and self-care
- Adrian Bethune Wellbeing in the Primary Classroom
- Chartered College of Teaching, (2020) The Early Career Framework Handbook
- Jemima Rhys-Evans (2020) ‘How Reducing Teacher Workload can Improve Students Outcomes’