This online micro learning unit is for teachers and school leaders on the use of evidence and research in schools. It explores the potential of evidence and research to inform decision making, to evaluate and understand the impact of changes, and to improve the professional learning and development of teachers. This collection is designed to help you consider your own, and your colleagues’, engagement with research evidence, and the areas you may need to develop to deepen and embed this engagement in your practice. It will introduce the three main features of evidence-informed teaching: awareness, engagement and use:
- Awareness: what is evidence-informed practice and what constitutes research ‘evidence’?
- Engagement: why is it important to engage with research and how can this be promoted in a school?
- Use: how can action research be used to investigate and change practice?
This unit incorporates a range of content types to support professional learning and reflective practice, including:
- Recording from a webinar with Graham Chisnell FCCT (CEO, Veritas Multi Academy Trust) on embedding a culture of research in schools
- Case studies from practising teachers and school leaders and research reviews summarising the latest evidence base
- Reflective questions to support learning and reading lists signposting further support and resources, including two self-assessment toolkits to help teachers and schools evaluate their levels of research engagement.
In this webinar recording Graham Chisnell FCCT (CEO, Veritas Multi Academy Trust) talks about his work and includes key takeaways from his new book ‘Irresistible Learning: Embedding a culture of research in schools’.
- Strengthen your research practice and help build a culture of research across your school
- Use the power of research to strengthen practice in yourself and others
Graham offers practical guidance on how to engage in meaningful research that will have a deep and lasting impact on you and your organisation. You will be taken on a journey through a Research Cycle that will build your confidence and purpose as a researcher, deepening professional relationships and improving outcomes for all.