Martin Byrne, Assistant Headteacher, Kings International College, UK In Issue 13 of Impact, I asserted that ‘schools that are characteristic of learning organisations have a culture in which individual and team learning is encouraged and valued. Teachers will recognise a clear focus for their CPD, which not only promotes personal mastery of their practice but is aligned with the development of the school as a collective.’ (Byrne, 2021, p. 52) This article outlines the steps taken by one school in the south-east of England to create a culture of meaningful professional learning in order to drive sustainable school improvement, while maintaining accountability and delivering impact on student outcomes. Context A state-maintained secondary, judged as ‘Good’ by Ofsted in 2019, the school is improving. Student numbers have grown by 46 per cent over the last four years to have 720 students on roll. The teaching staff of 51 includes: 40 per cent with leadership roles or o
Becoming a learning organisation: One school’s methodology and findings
Written by: Martin Byrne
6 min read
- Byrne M (2020) Leading school improvement through the development of professional learning communities: An action research study. Masters Dissertation, University of Buckingham, UK.
- Byrne M (2021) Schools are places of learning but are they learning organisations? Impact 13: 51–53.
- Education Endowment Fund (EEF) (2021) Effective professional development: Guidance report. available at: https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/education-evidence/guidance-reports/effective-professional-development (accessed 12 December 2021).
- Education Wales (2013) Professional learning communities. Available at: https://hwb.gov.wales/professional-development/professional-learning-communities (accessed 12 December 2021).
- Pink (2010) Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us. New York: Riverhead Books.
- Senge PM (2006) The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization. London: Penguin Random House.
- Sherrington T and Caviglioli O (2020) Teaching WalkThrus: Five-Step Guides to Instructional Coaching: Visual Step-by-Step Guides to Essential Teaching Techniques. Woodbridge: John Catt.