Debbie Hill and James Earp, Northampton High School, UK Introduction The return to school following two periods of guided home learning (GHL) and the introduction of mixed model learning has continued to present challenges to the whole learning community. A lot of initial media attention focused on learning loss (Andrew et al., 2020); however, in our own school setting, we have taken a more holistic approach by focusing on the learner. Our research, exploratory in nature, was conducted in spring/early summer 2021 and allowed us to investigate how the impact of GHL had affected attitudes to learning, so that, returning to the physical classroom, we were better equipped to support our students in their learning. Methodology All students in Years 1, 6, 8, 10 and 12 were invited to complete an online survey, with parental consent. In total, 133 students responded, almost a quarter of the school population, with almost two-thirds of the respondents from Years 8 and 10. The survey used
‘Do I ask or do I not?’ How has guided home learning affected student attitudes to learning?
Written by: Debbie Hill and James Earp
8 min read
- Andrew A, Cattan S, Costa-Dias M et al. (2020) Learning during the lockdown: Real-time data on children’s experiences during home learning. Institute for Fiscal Studies. Available at: https://ifs.org.uk/uploads/BN288-Learning-during-the-lockdown-1.pdf (accessed 14 March 2022).
- Co-SPACE (COVID-19 Supporting Parents, Adolescents and Children during Epidemics) (2021) Children and adolescents’ mental health: One year on. University of Oxford. Available at: www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-05-06-children-and-adolescents-mental-health-one-year-summary-co-space-study-findings (accessed 14 March 2022).
- Education Endowment Foundation (EEF) (2020) Remote learning: Rapid evidence assessment. Available at: https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/public/files/Remote_Learning_Rapid_Evidence_Assessment.pdf (accessed 14 March 2022).
- Fullan M (2020) Learning and the pandemic: What’s next? Prospects 49: 25–28.
- Hattie J (2012) Visible Learning for Teachers: Maximising Impact on Learning. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Hattie J and Clarke S (2019) Visible Learning: Feedback. London: Routledge.
- Lee J (2020) Mental health effects of school closures during COVID-19. The Lancet: Child & Adolescent Health 4(6): P421.
- Lucas M, Nelson J and Sims D (2020) Schools’ responses to Covid-19: Pupil engagement in remote learning. NFER. Available at: www.nfer.ac.uk/schools-responses-to-covid-19-pupil-engagement-in-remote-learning (accessed 14 March 2022).
Please login to comment
View all comments