Does question difficulty impact the effect of retrieval practice/testing effect?
- Anderson LW and Krathwohl DR (eds) (2001) A Taxonomy for Learning, Teaching, and Assessing: A Revision of Bloom’s Taxonomy of Educational Objectives. New York: Addison Wesley Longman.
- APA Dictionary of Psychology (nd) Testing effect. Available at: https://dictionary.apa.org/testing-effect
- Bloom BS (1956) Taxonomy of Educational Objectives: The Classification of Educational Goals. New York: Longmans.
- Coe R (2019) Does research on ‘retrieval practice’ translate into classroom practice? In EEF Blog. Available at: https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/news/does-research-on-retrieval-practice-translate-into-classroom-practice (accessed 31 January 2022).
- Department for Education (DfE) (2019) Early Career Framework. Available at: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/978358/Early-Career_Framework_April_2021.pdf (accessed 25 July 2022).
- Education Endowment Foundation (EEF) (2021a) Cognitive science approaches in the classroom: A review of the evidence. Available at: https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/public/files/Publications/Cognitive_science_approaches_in_the_classroom_-_A_review_of_the_evidence.pdf (accessed 10 May 2022).
- Education Endowment Foundation (EEF) (2021b) Metacognition and self-regulated learning: Guidance report. Available at: https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/education-evidence/guidance-reports/metacognition (accessed 31 January 2022).
- Fritz CO, Morris PE, Nolan D et al. (2007) Expanding retrieval practice: An effective aid to preschool children’s learning. The Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology 60(07): 991–1004.
- Jones K (2019) Retrieval Practice: Research & Resources for every classroom. Suffolk, England: John Catt Educational.
- Karpicke JD and Aue WR (2015) The testing effect is alive and well with complex materials. Educational Psychology Review 27(3): 317–326.
- Karpicke JD and Roediger H (2007) Repeated retrieval during leaning is the key to long-term retention. Journal of Memory and Language 57(2): 151–162.
- Kornell N and Bjork RA (2007) The promise and perils of self-regulated study. Psychonomic Bulletin & Review 14(2): 219–224.
- Ofsted (2022) School Inspection Handbook. Available at: www.gov.uk/government/publications/school-inspection-handbook-eif/school-inspection-handbook (accessed 10 May 2022).
- Schwieren J, Barenberg J and Dutke S (2017) The testing effect in the psychological classroom: A meta-analytic perspective. Psychology Learning & Teaching 16(2): 179–196.
- Van Gog T and Sweller J (2015) Not new, but nearly forgotten: The testing effect decreases or even disappears as the complexity of learning materials increases. Educational Psychology Review 27(2): 247–264.