JULIAN CARRERA, HEAD OF GEOGRAPHY, THE JOHN LYON SCHOOL, UK What is so special about retrieval practice? If ‘Memory is the residue of thought’ (Willingham, 2009, cited in Sherrington, 2021), then retrieval practice must be at the heart of teaching and learning. Coe (2019) commented that ‘Retrieval practice is strongly supported by over 100 years of research and is one of only two learning techniques rated by Dunlosky et al (2013) as having “high utility” for classroom practice.’ More recently, the work of Bjork et al. (2006, cited in Roediger and Butler, 2011) and Jones (2019) has done much to thrust retrieval practice to the forefront of cognitive science’s many gifts to the classroom. My own retrieval ‘practice‘ has evolved from scattershot and ill-focused to a much tighter research-informed interpretation. Confidence in my own practice encouraged me to develop an intervention for a small group of students on pure retrieval as my Chartered Teacher Classroom P
How effective is retrieval practice as an intervention in Key Stage 4 Geography?
Written by: Julian Carrera
5 min read
- Coe R (2019) Does research on ‘retrieval practice’ translate into classroom practice? In: EEF Blog. Available at: https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/news/does-research-on-retrieval-practice-translate-into-classroom-practice (accessed 5 July 2023).
- Enser M (2019) The research that shaped me: Retrieval practice. TES Magazine, 9 August, 19. Available at: www.tes.com/magazine/article/research-shaped-me-retrieval-practice (accessed 5 July 2023).
- Jones K (2019) Retrieval Practice. Woodbridge: John Catt Educational.
- Roediger and Butler (2011) The critical role of retrieval practice in long-term retention. Trends in Cognitive Sciences 15(1): 20–27.
- Sherrington T (2021) The genius of DT Willingham and WDSLS. Teacherhead. Available at: https://teacherhead.com/2021/06/22/the-genius-of-dt-willingham-and-wdsls/#:~:text=Memory%20is%20the%20residue%20of%20thought.&text=Thinking%20is%20the%20action%3B%20’storage,direction%20towards%20the%20curriculum%20goals (accessed 5 July 2023).