Emily Rankin, Deputy Head, The English College in Prague, Czechia Melanie Chambers, Deputy Head and Whole School Professional Learning Leader, The British School of Brussels, Belgium Marco Gemelli, Deputy Head, St George’s British International School, Rome, Italy In June 2020, our three British international schools developed a consortium called Teaching Together in Europe (TTE), in partnership with UK teacher training providers, with the goal of providing future teachers with a depth and breadth of school experiences, particularly as the education sector becomes more globalised (Roser and Ortiz-Ospina, 2016). We aimed to offer high-quality teaching placements for UK trainees, seeing a partnership with UK SCITTs (school-centred initial teacher training) as an opportunity to create a transnational professional learning community. We had a successful first year; the advantages to this international scheme have been multifaceted. At a time when the UK is seeing a decline in post-
Teaching together in Europe: A case study
Written by: Emily Rankin, Melanie Chambers and Marco Gemelli
6 min read
- Collin J and Smith E (2021) Effective professional development: Guidance report. Education Endowment Foundation. Available at: https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/education-evidence/guidance-reports/effective-professional-development (accessed 19 November 2022).
- Greaves E, Belfield C and Allen R (2019) Do trainee teachers harm pupil attainment? Isolating the effect of pre-service teachers on contemporaneous pupil performance in ‘high-stakes’ tests. British Educational Research Journal 45: 458–482.
- Hurd S (2007) The impact of trainee teachers on school achievement: A review of research. Centre for Research & Development in Teacher Education, The Open University. Available at: www2.uwe.ac.uk/faculties/ssh/edu/partnership/secondary/trainee_teachers_and_school_achievement_final_15_05_07.doc (accessed 19 November 2022).
- Roser M and Ortiz-Ospina E (2016) Global education. Our World in Data. Available at: https://ourworldindata.org/global-education (accessed 19 November 2022).
- Stoll L, Fink D and Earl L (2003) It’s About Learning (and It’s About Time). What’s in it for schools? London: Routledge Falmer.
- Stoll L and Louis K (2007) Professional Learning Communities: Divergence, Depth and Dilemmas. New York: Open University Press.
- Worth J and Faulkner-Ellis H (2022) Teacher labour market in England: Annual report 2022. The National Foundation for Educational Research in England and Wales. Available at: www.nasbtt.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Teacher-Labour-Market-in-England.pdf (accessed 19 November 2022).
Having seen it first hand, the impact on the school and our teachers was huge. Plus, it’s great to give back and develop future teachers allowing our great teachers to pass on their experience.