The impacts of teaching bottom-up reading strategies on GCSE Spanish reading examination results
- AQA (2016) GCSE Spanish (8698): Specification for teaching from 2016 onwards; for exams in 2018 onwards. Available at: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/spanish/specifications/AQA-8698-SP-2016.PDF (accessed 18 August 2022).
- Conti G (2015) Why MFL teachers may have to rethink their approach to foreign language reading instruction. In: The Language Gym. Available at: https://gianfrancoconti.com/2015/07/21/why-mfl-teachers-may-have-to-rethink-their-approach-to-foreign-language-reading-instruction (accessed 7 February 2022).
- Gough PB (1972) One second of reading. In: Kavanagh JF and Mattingly IG (eds) Languages by Ear and by Eye. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, pp. 331–358.
- Kohl K (2019) Are modern foreign languages exams too difficult? In: Arts Blog. Available at: www.ox.ac.uk/news/arts-blog/are-modern-foreign-languages-exams-too-difficult (accessed 27 February 2022).
- Liu F (2010) A short analysis of the nature of reading. English Language Teaching 3(3): 152–157.
- Quigley A (2014) What is in a word? Etymology for every teacher. In: The Confident Teacher. Available at: www.theconfidentteacher.com/2014/05/word (accessed 18 February 2022).
- Walter HC (2016) Reading in a second language. Centre for Languages, Linguistics and Area Studies. Available at: https://web-archive.southampton.ac.uk/www.llas.ac.uk/resources/gpg/1420.html (accessed 26 June 2023).
About the Author
As Head of Learning Area (HoLA) I oversee the Spanish, French, Turkish, Latin and classics departments. Previously, I have been Lead Practitioner (school-wide) with responsibility for on-site provision for student teachers. I have also worked in Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, where I oversaw literacy across the curriculum. My interests include teacher training, mentoring and literacy with a specific focus on reading.