Michael Taylor, Professional Tutor, Liverpool Hope University, UK Steve Lambert, Associate Professor in Educational Leadership, University of Chester, UK Introduction Hughes et al. (2005) state that empathy is an essential skill for leadership in any field. This paper reviews the literature on the importance of empathy by exploring the applications of benefits in other professions such as nursing, and transferrable lessons can be learned. For school leaders, having an emotionally intelligent understanding of what they need in order to perform successfully can also support how they manage their team to bring out the best in all team members. Finally, this paper aims to make recommendations for governing bodies and headteachers to identify what empathetic leadership might look like and how headteachers with the right empathy skills can be specified for future recruitment. Measuring an individual’s ability to read the emotional state of colleagues or employees is a vital first s
The need for empathy in school leadership
Written by: Michael Taylor and Steve Lambert
10 min read
- Bruce-Golding J (2021) Leading change: A reflection on leadership approaches for equity and teacher career progression. Impact 11: 49–52.
- Goleman D (2009) Emotional Intelligence. London: Bloomsbury.
- Hughes M, Patterson L and Terrell J (2005) Emotional Intelligence in Action: Training and Coaching Activities for Leaders and Managers. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Lambert S (2021) Role of emotional intelligence in effective nurse leadership. Nursing Standard 36(12): 45–49.
- Lambert S, Dimitriadis N, Taylor M et al. (2021) Understanding emotional empathy at postgraduate business programmes: What does the use of EEG reveal for future leaders? Higher Education, Skills and Work-Based Learning. Epub ahead of print 29 April 2021. DOI: 10.1108/HESWBL-09-2020-021
- Wood R and Happé F (2021) What are the views and experiences of autistic teachers? Findings from an online survey in the UK. Disability and Society 36(10). DOI: 10.1080/09687599.2021.1916888.
- Sani NB (2009) The influence of efficacy and emotional intelligence of technical secondary school administrators and teachers’ professional collaboration on teachers’ job satisfaction. Doctoral Thesis, University Ultara, Malaysia.
Please login to comment
View all comments