Tara Stewart, Senior Lead Practitioner, Queen Ethelburga’s Collegiate, UK Background During the academic year 2021/22, a group of staff at Queen Ethelburga’s Collegiate (QE) each read a copy of The Revision Revolution by Howell and McGill (2022). Like many schools, QE was coming out of the other side of the pandemic, where predicted grades, remote teaching and uncommon ways of working had become the norm. Still, questions remained as to how we would continue to close the gap on over two years of disrupted learning, as well as driving forward study skills to prepare students for the reintroduction of formal examinations and to support them beyond GCSE and A-level examinations. Student outcomes have, for many years, been very strong at QE. Established in 1912 and home to day, UK boarding and international students from over 60 countries, we pride ourselves on consistently ranking among the top day and boarding schools in the UK. Our teaching staff, like all teachers, work tirele
The revision revolution at Queen Ethelburga’s Collegiate
Written by: Tara Stewart
5 min read
- Allison S and Tharby A (2015) Making Every Lesson Count. Carmarthen: Crown House.
- Astbury L (2022) Building study habits and revision routines. In: Education Endowment Foundation guest blog. Available at: https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/news/eef-guest-blog-building-study-habits-and-revision-routines (accessed 6 July 2023).
- Howell H and McGill MR (2022) The Revision Revolution: How to Build a Culture of Effective Study in Your School. Woodbridge: John Catt.
- Lemov D (2015) Teach Like a Champion 2.0: 62 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Sherrington T (2019) Rosenshine’s Principles in Action. Woodbridge: John Catt.