PHIL KIRKMAN, ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, ANGLIA RUSKIN UNIVERSITY, UK DEB CAWS, SENIOR LECTURER, ANGLIA RUSKIN UNIVERSITY, UK CHRIS CHILDS, ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL, LONG ROAD SIXTH FORM COLLEGE, UK SIMON COLEBROOKE, TEACHER, LONG ROAD SIXTH FORM COLLEGE, UK MEGAN ISSOTT, TEACHER, LONG ROAD SIXTH FORM COLLEGE, UK JOHN PARKIN, SENIOR LECTURER, ANGLIA RUSKIN UNIVERSITY, UK ZOE THORN, TEACHER, LONG ROAD SIXTH FORM COLLEGE, UK Research-informed practice is increasingly considered important as a key aspect of effective teaching, teacher development and school leadership (Cordingley, 2015). However, many teachers remain cautious about engaging with research evidence, especially given the time constraints and myriad other pressures that exist across the profession. Previous negative experiences of ‘engaging with research’ or ‘using evidence’ can also be a factor. The value of teacher-led small-scale studies (Bell et al., 2010) is sometimes dismissed, despite having clear value for
What does it mean to be research-informed?
8 min read
- Bell M, Cordingley P, Isham C et al. (2010) Report of professional practitioner use of research review: Practitioner engagement in and/or with research. CUREE, GTCE, LSIS and NTRP. Available at: www.curee.co.uk/files/publication/1297423037/Practitioner%20Use%20of%20Research%20Review.pdf (accessed 26 June 2023).
- Cordingley P (2015) The contribution of research to teachers’ professional learning and development. Oxford Review of Education 41 (2): 234–252.
- Issott M (2022) Developing the ‘independent learning spiral’. Sixth Form Colleges Association. Available at: www.sixthformcolleges.org/1412/blog-6/post/169/developing-the-independent-learning-spiral (accessed 24 April 2023).
- Kirkman P (2022) Professional enquiry: Lessons from year one. Paper presented to LRSF Professional Enquiry Group, 11th Oct 2022.
- Stenberg K and Maaranen K (2022) Promoting practical wisdom in teacher education: A qualitative descriptive study. European Journal of Teacher Education 45(5): 617–633.
- Vaughn LM and Jacquez F (2020) Participatory research methods – choice points in the research process. Journal of Participatory Research Methods 1(1). DOI: 10.35844/001c.13244.