Emily Rankin, Deputy Head, Upper School and Teaching and Learning, The English College in Prague, Czechia ‘Learning walks’, also referred to as ‘walkthroughs’ in some countries, have long been held by school leaders as a way to gauge instructional practice and ensure that school initiatives are being implemented (Rouleau and Corner, 2020). Many school communities, however, have moved to include teachers in learning walks, as this helps to build ‘a culture of collaboration and continuous improvement’ (Finch, 2010). This case study explains how my school, a British-Czech secondary school in Prague, Czechia, has utilised learning walks as a means of empowering teachers in the development of whole-school teaching and learning and spurring a culture of collaborative continuous improvement. Starting out Pre-2018, our school lacked meaningful teacher collaboration; there was a closed-door culture of instruction, and professional development was of a one-size-fits-all model. B
Learning walks for building a culture of improvement
Written by: Emily Rankin
6 min read
- Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL) (2017) Learning walks. Available at: www.aitsl.edu.au/tools-resources/resource/learning-walks (accessed 24 July 2020).
- Celoski M (2018) Improving instructional practice via walkthrough implementation: A superintendent centered perspective. EdD Dissertation, Seton Hall University, USA. Available at: https://scholarship.shu.edu/dissertations/2518 (accessed 24 July 2020).
- Collin J and Smith E (2021) Effective professional development: Guidance report. Education Endowment Foundation. Available at: https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/education-evidence/guidance-reports/effective-professional-development (accessed 31 October 2021).
- Finch PD (2010) Learning-walk continuum. School Administrator 67(10):16–22. Available at: https://www.aasa.org/SchoolAdministratorArticle.aspx?id=16798 (accessed 24 July 2020).
- Hattie J (2017) 250+ Influences on Student Achievement. Available at: https://visible-learning.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/VLPLUS-252-Influences-Hattie-ranking-DEC-2017.pdf (accessed 29 August 2018).
- Rouleau K and Corner T (2020) Classroom walkthroughs: Where data-gathering and relationship building meet for school improvement. McRel International. Available at: https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED611283.pdf (accessed 1 December 2021).