Charlotte Mosey, Senior Lecturer in ITT/E, University of Derby, UK Jack Bryne Stothard, Lecturer in ITT/E and Teacher Education, Research and Innovation Lead, University of Derby, UK In-service teachers, due to time constraints, often have little time to thoroughly reflect upon their pedagogy, and as such it becomes increasingly difficult for innovative and inclusive practices to emerge within the classroom, particularly those that could support the needs of all learners and promote inclusivity. The COVID-19 pandemic has created significant challenges, as well as opportunities for expanding practice, as the attainment gap appears to have widened and schools are having to focus more acutely on the needs of specific learners. Indeed, the Department for Education (2021b) estimated that by the end of the spring term 2020–21, ‘primary-aged pupils had experienced a learning loss in reading equivalent to 2.0 months of progress’ and in mathematics ‘a much greater learning loss of 3.1
Reimagining adaptive teaching: Creating a supportive environment for all learners
7 min read
- Boaler J, Wiliam D and Brown M (2000) Students’ experiences of ability grouping—disaffection, polarisation and the construction of failure. British Educational Research Association 26(5): 631–648.
- Department for Education (DfE) (2019a) Early Career Framework. Available at: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/978358/Early-Career_Framework_April_2021.pdf (accessed 25 November 2021).
- Department for Education (DfE) (2019b) ITT Core Content Framework. Available at: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/974307/ITT_core_content_framework_.pdf (accessed 25 November 2021).
- Department for Education (DfE) (2021a) Initial teacher training (ITT) market review: Overview. Available from: www.gov.uk/government/publications/initial-teacher-training-itt-market-review/initial-teacher-training-itt-market-review-overview (accessed 1 December 2021).
- Department for Education (DfE) (2021b) Understanding progress in the 2020/21 academic year: Initial findings from the spring term. Available at: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/994364/Understanding_Progress_in_the_2020_21_Academic_Year_Initial_Report_3_.pdf (accessed 25 November 2021).
- Dweck C ( 2006) Mindset: The New Psychology of Success. New York: Random House.
- Jordan A, Schwartz E and McGhie-Richmond D (2009) Preparing teachers for inclusive classrooms. Teaching and Teacher Education 25(4): 535–542.
- NRICH (2019a) Creating a low threshold high ceiling classroom. Available at: https://nrich.maths.org/7701 (accessed 25 November 2021).
- NRICH (2019b) Low threshold high ceiling – an introduction. Available at: https://nrich.maths.org/10345 (accessed 25 November 2021).
- Papert S (1980) Mindstorms: Children, Computers, and Powerful Ideas. New York: Basic Books.
- Wiliam D (2013) Assessment: The bridge between teaching and learning. Voices from the Middle 21(2): 15–20.